3/8/07

A Fat Man in a White Van Gave Me a Doughnut Today

& I ate it. I was out at the truck, smoking. He was making a delivery, two doors down and regarded me. I had my belt on, obviously working on the place, besides, who doesn’t love a working man? He pulled up and rolled down the window. I said, “Hidee.” He replied, “I got two dougnuts I couldn’t finish. You want ‘em? I got ‘em just this morning from Peggy Ann’s.” Or some such fuckin place. I said, “Sure” thanked him and he drove off. They were in a nice white box, about two inches tall and shone in the sun, glazy.

I got home at lunch with my stomach so tied in knots I could barely walk. I climbed into bed with my wife and the baby, who were lying down for nap.

“See that’s the difference between you and me," she said, "I would never eat food given to me by a stranger.” Baby May poked me in the eye and said, "Eyes?"

“I thought it would be bad karma to refuse the proffered donut. He seemed like a very nice man.” I said.

“You know there’s nothing good about doughnuts anyway.” She said. I said I’d have to think about that.

I had eaten fried shrimp four days straight last weekend at my parents place in Florida. The night before last my wife had fed us fried taters. I guessed the donut, fried in lard was the final straw for my insides and they revolted. Deep fried material had shredded my stomach. I had to get up and head back to leave the key for the electrician. There was the other doughnut still left in the box on top of the stack of sheetrock. I’ll probably eat that one tomorrow.